How a Defective Spark Plug Affects Your BMW Acceleration
24 Dec, 22
Spark plugs are your vehicle’s unsung heroes. They are essential to your vehicle’s ignition system because they ignite the combination of air and gasoline inside the cylinders of your engine and keep you moving. However, defective spark plugs are among the most typical problems that all drivers must deal with.
Many drivers disregard the symptoms given by this simple-to-replace equipment, resulting in serious implications for their automobiles. In this post, we’ll take a brief look at what spark plugs are, the signs of a defective spark plug, and what you should do when you begin to experience problems with your spark plug.
About Spark Plugs
A spark plug is responsible for producing an electrical spark that ignites the fuel in the engine. The spark contains high-voltage energy traveling across a small distance between two plugs. However, each time this occurs, the intense voltage wears off at the top of the plug. The distance that the spark must travel grows more with time until it becomes challenging. As a result, a conventional spark plug has a lifetime of 30,000-60,000 miles.
Spark plugs are recently being coated with rare metals such as yttrium, iridium, and platinum. This slows the rate of wear, resulting in plugs that could last from 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Aside from aging, spark plugs fail for a variety of other reasons, including connection issues or faults with related systems, such as the ignition coil. These issues also need attention.
How to Recognize Spark Plug Problems in Your BMW
You can identify whether your BMW has spark plug problems by looking for the following indications and symptoms, which, when combined, will result in a poor experience while driving, a harsh and very uncomfortable ride, and poor performance.
- Misfires in Ignition: Ignition misfires might perhaps be the most typical symptom that causes BMW drivers to examine the state of the spark plugs. Misfires occur whenever the spark produced by the spark plug is insufficient to ignite the gasoline in the engine compartment. This causes your BMW to run rough, most notably in the form of weak acceleration, rough idling, and low fuel economy. Frequent or severe misfires are likely to illuminate the light in your check engine and, if neglected for an extended length of time, can lead to engine failure.
- Sluggish Acceleration: To produce a sharp acceleration, the engine must be operating at the very top performance. When the team is being let down by the spark plugs, acceleration becomes very difficult, resulting in slow and limp acceleration.
- Idling Roughly: Rough idling occurs when you have frequent misfires while driving. Rough idling happens when the engine runs lean, which implies the air-fuel ratio is unbalanced. When your automobile is idle, this imbalance causes it to shudder and shake dramatically.
- Starting Problems: Spark plugs are important not only in keeping the engine going but also for getting it started in the beginning, so if the spark plugs in your BMW are failing, starting your vehicle may require numerous attempts.
- Inadequate Gas Mileage: To get the best from a gas tank, your BMW must be in top-functioning shape. When your spark plugs fail, your engine must compensate by raising the rate of gasoline consumption.
Santa Barbara Autowerks Will Fix the Defective Spark Plug in Your BMW
Santa Barbara Autowerks is the best place to go when you are experiencing any of the above indications of a spark plug problem in your BMW. Our technicians are ASE certified with many years of experience in fixing various issues with BMW automobiles. Our aim is to give you our best service, ensuring you are comfortable while driving in your BMW.
When you bring your BMW to our workshop, our professional mechanics will use the most recent factory-grade tools to diagnose and fix the issues in your vehicle. You can be sure of getting high-quality service with us. We are always proud to serve the residents of Santa Barbara, CA. Whether you’re in need of a quick fix or regular maintenance, we can help you. Call us now to book an appointment, or you can visit us today! We’re eager to earn your business.