How to Deal with a Radiator Expansion Tank Failure in Your MINI
31 Oct, 21
The MINI is a sporty vehicle designed for an exceptional driving experience that is different from the rest. However, many of its problems are those that are common to many other types of vehicles. Radiator expansion tank failure in MINIs is quite commonplace, but that doesn’t make them any easier to deal with.
Determining the cause of the phenomenon and how to fix it can be rather tedious, even for an educated and experienced technician. Not only will your MINI’s performance be affected by radiator expansion tank failure, but it also becomes a safety hazard if left unattended. Let’s take a look at how you can detect signs of radiator expansion tank failure in your MINI and common causes to be on the lookout for.
Signs of a MINI Radiator Expansion Tank Failure
Before your MINI’s radiator expansion tank begins to fail, there are a few signs you look for to recognize the problem:
- Noticeable rust forming in the radiator: Usually, an overflow tank will prevent this from occurring, but when you notice rust in your radiator expansion tank, it is a sign it will begin failing soon thereafter.
- An overheating engine: If your engine frequently overheats and you don’t know why, you must consider a radiator expansion tank failure.
- Low coolant levels: Oftentimes, coolant leaks will be mistaken for other types of powertrain components leaking. Just note that coolant fluid will be colorful on purpose to catch your attention if/when it is leaking.
- The smell of coolant: When you begin to smell the sweet scent of coolant, it may be a sign of radiator expansion tank failure. This is a sure sign to bring it to our professional to check it out before it becomes a major problem.
Causes of a Failing Radiator Expansion Tank
Of course, taking proper care of your MINI and investing in regular servicing is key to avoiding larger issues that go undetected for long periods. Many causes for a failing MINI radiator expansion tank can be nipped in the bud quickly. Below are the most common we see:
- a cracked reservoir head
- general wear and tear
- improper pressurization
- radiator cap broken or not sealed as it should be
Other Noticeable Signs of Your Radiator Expansion Tank Failure in your MINI
Some signs of a MINI radiator expansion tank that is failing are easily seen by the naked eye. These signs include:
- Dashboard showing low coolant level: This is the most obvious sign that something is wrong with your MINI, but pinpointing its cause as a radiator expansion tank failure is something that is best left to professional technicians with diagnostic tools.
- Dried residue on the side of the radiator expansion tank is proof that the fluid within this tank has leaked out. This is a sign that any MINI owner can easily notice and report to a trusted professional service technician.
Rely on Santa Barbara Autowerks for Your MINI’s Radiator Expansion Failure
The professionals at Santa Barbara Autowerks are dedicated to convenient, professional care care service. As a facility with customer convenience and value in mind, our clients mean the world to us. That’s why we opened a European car service facility so you never have to stand in line at a dealership again. Not only are we dedicated to providing the best care possible, but we also want to create good customer relationships through our reputable repair options.
As an alternative to traditional dealership services, Santa Barbara Autowerks is able to get to know our clients and perform accordingly. To resolve your MINI’s radiator expansion tank failure, first, we run a series of diagnostics to pinpoint the exact issue. With your permission to perform the work needed, we correct the problem and inspect the rest of your MINI as part of a holistic approach to preventive maintenance. Finally, we offer a 2-year/24,000-mile warranty on qualifying part repairs.
Specializing in both maintenance and repair, as well as emergency services, Santa Barbara Autowerks is here for our customers when they need us the most. If you’d like to see all we have to offer or discuss specific options, give us a call at (805) 966-3200 today.