Reasons for a Fuel Tank Screen Filter Failure in a Mercedes From Experts in Santa Barbara
06 Jun, 21
Drivers around the world choose Mercedes not only for their style and class but for their high-performing nature. One important part of your Mercedes is the fuel system. The fuel system is designed to allocate fuel from your Mercedes tank to the engine and other parts of the car that need fuel to function. However, this system can experience problems with road debris that comes in contact with your car. If this debris makes its way to your Mercedes engine, serious issues can occur.
The Fuel Tank Screen Filter
Your Mercedes features a number of fuel filtration parts that ensure that the fuel entering your car’s engine is free of contaminants that can lead to performance issues or even engine failure. Other than the fuel tank screen filter, the fuel system features a couple of other filters, like the regular fuel filter and the pre-filter. The purpose of the fuel tank screen filter is to catch larger debris that can clog other filters later on.
Signs of a Failed Fuel Tank Screen Filter
Like any other type of filter, the fuel tank screen filter can become clogged, even though its design is fairly excellent. Since the part is designed to catch large particles, this can make clogging even more common.
There are a few recognizable signs of a clogged or failed fuel tank screen filter.
- Check-engine light: This is usually the first sign that people notice when something is wrong with their car’s engine. If your check engine light is on, it could mean a number of things, including a failed fuel tank screen filter.
- No-start condition: If your car won’t start to begin with, this can be indicative of a clogged fuel tank screen filter, among other problems. However, this is definitely a sure sign that you need to take your Mercedes to a repair shop.
- Power decrease: If you notice a decrease in the usual power of your Mercedes, there could be debris stuck in your fuel tank screen filter causing this problem.
- Fuel pump problems: The fuel pump is another important part of your car that pumps fuel around the engine. If this part of your Mercedes is struggling or failing, it could be due to a clogged fuel tank screen filter.
Fuel is required for both ignition and combustion in your Mercedes. If the fuel filters are clogged, the flow of fuel will be significantly less consistent and your car won’t be able to run as usual. What will likely happen are a few things:
- The flow of fuel is diminished
- Low amount of fuel making it to the fuel tank
- Fuel flow stopped completely, making it to where you can’t start your car
How To Prevent Fuel Tank Screen Filter Failure
The most important thing to do to prevent any problem with your Mercedes is take it in for a checkup regularly. Symptoms of a clogged fuel filter can also mean that there are issues with a different part of the fuel system, so it’s important to correctly diagnose the issue.
It’s possible that you may need to simply have your filters cleaned to fix the problem. However, in some cases, you will need to replace the fuel tank screen filter completely. In a Mercedes, these parts are fairly sturdy, so you usually won’t need to replace them. Regular cleaning typically does the job.
Santa Barbara Autowerks for your Mercedes
Located off of Fig Avenue in Santa Barbara, California, Santa Barbara Autowerks is California’s premier German auto repair and service shop. In addition to repairing or cleaning the fuel tank screen filter, we offer the following services for your Mercedes:
- Check engine light maintenance
- Electrical system maintenance
- Emergency services and repairs
- Factory required maintenance
- Maintenance & repair
- Performance upgrades
- Renovation and restoration projects
- Transmission repairs
If you find yourself experiencing any of the above symptoms of fuel tank screen filter failure, bring your Mercedes to us for an inspection and diagnostic testing today. A simple cleaning of the filters could be the answer to an array of different problems. We look forward to serving all your maintenance and repair needs for the longevity of your Mercedes-Benz.