When to Replace the Spark Plugs in Your Mini
07 Jan, 22
Spark plugs are a necessary component of your MINI model that aids in the ignition of the engine. Engine coils create electricity that the spark plug uses to provide a spark within the engine.
The spark plugs can stop working overtime and begin to create less electricity with each use. This can affect the performance of your Mini greatly. It is best to repair the issue. The repair is both easy and inexpensive.
Symptoms of Spark Plug Failure
- Difficulty in starting the Engine: If you face difficulty in starting the engine of your Mini, it can be because of the age of the spark plug. It can negatively impact your Mini’s battery life and ignition.
- Check Light Engine: The check light engine on the dashboard can be an obvious sign of an out-of-commission spark plug. There are other reasons for the malfunctioning of a check light engine so it is best to take your Mini to a professional to get it checked.
- Engine Misfiring: This can happen if a defective spark plug leaves unburned fuel and creates a mixture, hence, causing a jerky idle.
- Acceleration: If you notice issues while accelerating in your Mini, it could be an indication of a malfunctioning spark plug.
- Increased Emissions: A failed plug will not only cause increased emissions but also increased fuel consumption.
- Unresponsive Engine: Another symptom could be your engine not responding to the pressure you apply on your pedal. It is extremely dangerous in close traffic.
- Gas Tank: If the gas tank of your Mini is full however your engine still doesn’t start, it can be a clear indication of a failed spark plug.
- Foul Smell: Smell of rotten eggs or sulfur can often come from the exhaust pipe if there is a failure in the spark plug.
- Excessive Vibration: Violent shakes or vibrations throughout the vehicle can be another symptom of a faulty spark plug.
Causes of a Faulty Spark Plug
- Improper Torque: Ninety percent of spark plug damage is due to the improper installation by tightening them too tight or too loose.
- Poor Fuel Quality: More contaminants are present in poor-quality fuel which then enter your engine. Poor quality fuel causes more damage and even erosion to the spark plug from the inside hence can lead to premature failure.
- Bad Fuel Filters: The filter acts as a barrier protecting the engine from dirt, debris, and other contaminants. When the filter is exposed to too much dirt and foreign material, it can affect the spark plug negatively.
- Loose Wire Connection: Low-quality plugs and loose wire connections can often cause failure as well.
- Overheating: The spark plug’s tip can wear prematurely if it is overheated on a consistent basis, as excessive heat will build up in the combustion chamber.
- Engine Oil: A good quality oil can increase the life of the spark plug while a low quality can harm the plug.
- Improper Maintenance: Regular checkups and inspections are important for the health of the spark plug and to catch any faults before they arise.
- Regular Replacement: A spark plug needs to be replaced every 30,000 miles or three years. If this is ignored, then the old spark plug can cause many issues in your Mini.
- Oil and Carbon: Even though the spark plugs have an anti-corrosion coating that helps protect it from the outside contaminants, it is not impermeable. The buildup of oil, carbon, and other by-products can happen and damage the spark plug.
Santa Barbara Autowerks is Here to Help
Santa Barbara Autowerks proudly provides auto repair services in and around Santa Barbara, CA. We are dedicated to providing not only the highest quality auto repair and maintenance but also the most memorable customer service experience.
We use factory-level diagnostic tools to ensure any issue is detected quickly and accurately. We believe in finding the correct problem and fixing it the right way at the first time itself. We also focus on a car as a whole and not just isolated parts so we can make sure everything is working together properly as it should.
We want you to be as confident as we are in our repairs so we provide a 2-year/24,000-mile warranty on all our parts and labor. Message us on our website or call us at 805-966-3200 to schedule an appointment today.